THE LOVE CHRONICLES: PART TWO - CARRIE

They say that you only have one great love in your life. When you’re young it's hard to distinguish love from lust. As our bodies get taller and our hormones get wilder, finding ‘the one’ and knowing when you are in love can be very difficult.

Sex and the City is a tv show that we all know and adore and it can be very exciting when we get together with our girlfriends to decide who is the “Carrie” or the “Samantha” of the group. Luckily for the four of us there was no argument when it came to figuring out who each of us were. In fact, the four of us watch the episodes and can see ourselves in their Manolo Blahniks.


Everyone has their own unique experience with this bitter sweet part of life. Learning to love and be loved. Our “Charlotte” has been in a committed relationship for three years, “Carrie” has been from one love to another, “Miranda” has been struggling to get over ‘the one that got away’ and “Samantha” has never been in love. These are our real and honest accounts of young relationships.



I am a hopeful romantic although I'm not sure I've ever been in love. My high school boyfriend broke up with me because I was going into Year 12 and he was leaving school, he thought it would be too hard for us to see each other… Yep. I was so upset about it, little 16 year old me. One of my good friends at the time gave me some advice I have never forgotten, she said "You need to remember your self worth, you deserve someone who makes the effort for you".

      

From then on I have completely been actively dating with a new love interest every two or so weeks. BIG emphasis on the interest. I meet someone, text my girlfriends: "Omg I just met the CUTEST guy in the Nike store and he was totally flirting with me, he asked me what my post code was", Facebook and Instagram stalk based on limited information e.g Name tag (this process can take up to 3-5 business days and express services require help from a friend), Find out he's head over heels for his girlfriend of 3 years, Next. I am guilty of being the girl at brunch that gets asked "Soo… how's it going with Tom?" "Oh that's old news, he left me on seen. I'm talking to Ben now".

Which brings me to the rules, yes, rules and back to the advice. I developed a set of my own dating game rules that would help sift through the guys that don’t make an effort to be with me, bye Felicia. I'd also just like to point out that these are the rules that I date by, verified by my closest girlfriends that receive all my screenshotted conversations. You do not have to follow these rules, you do you boo.

RULE #1
Until you're married, he messages first.

RULE #2
The first conversation is the most important. There's a mindful 3 hour gap between your replies, a draft message has been sent to all 3 of your group chats for pre-sending approval, the message is short, fun and flirty with NO EMOJIS.

RULE #3
If you get left on seen, you're done.

RULE #4
Don't force the conversation to last longer. If he replies "Haha yeah", that's the end of the conversation. Don't reply to something that doesn't absolutely need a reply, if he wants to talk to you he will double text.

RULE #5
If he wants to see you, he will. If he doesn't at least suggest a coffee date, he's just not that into you.
But, what's the point of having rules if you don't break them sometimes?


So, I may not have found The One for me yet but I'm only young and I personally feel no pressure at all. With each new love interest comes new experiences and stories. As fun as the dating game is, the greatest love in my life comes from my friends and family. They are the people that stick around through Tom, Ben, Patrick, Adam, Sam, Jack, Dan, Jason, Bob, Matt, you get the point. "Maybe our girlfriends are our soulmates and guys are just people to have fun with." - Carrie Bradshaw




No comments